We’ll drive you to the slopes of the Apennine Mountains East of Rome. Here in the fabled medieval city of Tivoli you will visit two spectacular sites. The Villa d’Este is home to doubtlessly the most spectacular fountains and gardens of the world. This palatial residence of Cardinal d’Este (son of Lucrecia Borgia) harbors over 1,000 fountains and clearly illustrates the opulent lifestyle of the Renaissance aristocracy. Then we’re off to the former country estate of the Emperor Hadrian. Ruler at the height of Rome’s power and influence, Hadrian fancied himself an architect and patron of the arts. The ruins of this Villa bear witness to his talents, vision, and empirical taste. These two private dream residences, separated by a thousand years, are similar in vision and grandeur.
– Start at 10 A.M. from your location
– Arrival in Tivoli at Hadrian’s Villa at 11:00 A.M.
– Visit Hadrian’s Villa with a tour guide until to 1 P.M.
– Stop for lunch and wine tasting in Tivoli at “La Sibilla” Restaurant at 2 P.M.
– Visit Villa D’Este Fountains at 4:00 P.M.
– Arrival in Rome around 5:00 P.M.
* No disable access – good for families with kids – Gym shoes suggested